Saturday, March 21, 2009

Grandchildren teach us Life's simple joys

My grand kids are the best. I told them that I had bought bunny huts for them to decorate on Saturday. Big mistake because I told them this on Thursday and now they had to wait for 2 days to decorate the houses. Jaxon was not real pleased with grandma. You would think grandma would know not to do this for god sake I raised 3 boys and they would not of waited either. Anywho, I got up early on Saturday morning still in my sweats and decided I would try and get this ready before I went and pickup up all 3 grand kids. I thought I would give mom and dad some time to themselves today so they decided they would go and get Easter for the kids and have lunch.

The bunny huts are already put together which I loved because the challenge is to make the darn things the night before with royal icing and have them harden. Well mine usually fall apart or tilt before I can get all my side together. Thanks Wilton for putting these together just for me.

All I had to do was divide all the candy up into bowls.

I picked up the kids and it was close to lunch to we stopped and picked up "Donalds" as Ava says and took it to grandmas house. The kids ran inside the house and of course Jax had started to eat the candy. He just smiled at me when I came in. I told them we had to put the houses up until we ate than we would decorate. "Donalds" always has toys inside so that was a distraction until I told them that we could not decorate until they ate. That was all it took and the gobbled up there meals.
I started mixing the royal icing for the houses and they all had to sit on the counter and watch. The white powder turned into blue frosting and that was a real hit. As I went to grab a cup I could see all 3 putting fingers into the frosting quickly. Ava said "UM" as Colin and Jax said "I love frosting." I made up 3 batches of frosting and than went over and started frosting Colin's so he could start decorating. Little Ava was not happy she did not have frosting yet. I told her I would do hers so she decided to just eat the candy. I preceded with Jaxon's than onto Ava's. I knew if they did not have there own huts to decorate it would be a huge mistake.

As you can see it was great fun. What hams they are when you ask them to smile. They did a great job all by themselves. Well Ava needed a little help or hers would be just frosting since she ate the candy at times.




Our weather is about 68 degrees today so the kids wanted to run around outside in our backyard and catch butterflies. Both Colin and Jaxon have butterfly nets and Ava does not and she was mad she did not so I gave her a badmitten racket and that seemed to work. Off we went to butterfly hunt. As they ran around they found snail shells without the snails and started making a huge collection of them. Ava was right there saying "OOOOOOH GROSS" and off she went thinking she was catching butterflies.

I had told the kids if they gathered the acorns and put them on the rocks that the squirrels would find them so they were running around gathering the acorns.


I promised them a trip to Kmart to get Starwars there favorite toy right now. In fact Colin says "he is never growing out of starwars" I asked them to sit on the rock and smile and they kept saying CHEESE over and over again. Finally my camera caught them.


Thanks for making grandmas day special. I love you XOXOXOXOXOXOX

3 comments:

Silkman's said...

So cute!! They had so much fun!! Thanks so much for giving me and Clay some alone time. We got so much done. You are such a great grandma! Thanks for all you do!

Grand Pooba said...

Awwww! That looks like so much fun! I love those kids!

BSW said...

What a nice day! The kids looked so happy! I think Colin is so funny to say he is never growing out of Star Wars! You say the funniest things when you are little!